The Devil Never Sleeps
Learning to Live in an Age of Disasters
Available in hardcover, ebook and audiobook.
Professor Kayyem is the author or editor of six books including the best-selling book “Security Mom” in 2016, a memoir that explores the intersection, and commonalities, of her life in homeland security and her life as a mother.
In 2013, she was named the Pulitzer Prize finalist for editorial columns in the Boston Globe focused on ending the Pentagon’s combat exclusion rule against women, a policy that was changed that year. She won the Telly Award in 2021 for “excellence in a digital series” for her online documentaries on climate change with MyRadar.com.
Business Coaching and Preparedness Planning
We provide strategic and operational advice in resiliency planning, risk management, mega-event security, infrastructure protection and cybersecurity business coaching and consulting.
Strategic and Operational Security Advising
Infrastructure Protection and Cybersecurity
Companies that we have served include AirBnB, Zemcar, UPS’ Americans for Securing All Packages, Evolv, and Fortune 100 retail and financial companies.
Finance and Retail
Juliette serves as a CNN National Security Analyst and occasionally has opinion pieces at CNN.com.
This page features her current CNN clips as well as archives from the last several years.
As the Belfer Senior Lecturer in International Security at Harvard Kennedy School.
She is currently leading the Homeland Security Project, a new initiative of Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs.
“I am so often asked: “Are we safe?” This question has plagued me for my entire career. It has been asked by family and friends, students and scholars, news anchors and government officials.”
- PODCAST: Podcast with Stewart Foley, CFA – “Today’s Risk Environment” (10/30/23)
- PODCAST: KCRW – “Hate crimes surge in US as Middle East conflict continues” (10/18/23)
- ARTICLE The Atlantic - “A Devastating Attack by Hamas” (10/7/23)
- ARTICLE The Atlantic - “What Your Insurer Is Trying to Tell You About Climate Change ” (8/28/23)
- ARTICLE The Atlantic - “The Jacksonville Killer Wanted Everyone to Know His Message of Hate” (8/27/23)
- ARTICLE: The Atlantic - “An Ominous Warning to the E. Jean Carroll Jury” (5/10/23)
- ARTICLE: The Atlantic - “Every Emergency Needs to End, Even COVID-19” (5/05/23)
- ARTICLE: The Atlantic - “The “Day ’Stop the Bleed’ Entered Civilian Life” (4/16/23)
- INTERVIEW: The Harvard Gazette “‘Governor, I don’t know what’s going on, but there are body parts all over the street’” (4/14/23)
- ARTICLE: The Atlantic - “The Secret Service’s Day of Reckoning Approaches” (3/19/23)
- PODCAST: Talking Feds - “MAGA, May I?” (3/06/23)
- ARTICLE: American Scientist – “Living in an Age of Extremes” (02/16/23)
- INTERVIEW: CBS News - “Homeland Security Expert Juliette Kayyem to Receive Pinnacle Award” (01/26/23)
- RADIO: WPR Wisconsin Public Radio - "Rethinking: Run, Hide, Fight" (01/25/23)
- INTERVIEW: Washington Journal – "The Devil Never Sleeps"(30/12/22)
Juliette has served as a keynote speaker for conferences with both national and international audiences.
She can cater the subject matter to best fit her client’s needs regarding her expertise including crisis leadership, disaster management, homeland security, cybersecurity, and event planning.
“The Devil Never Sleeps”
Learning to Live in an Age of Disasters
An urgent, transformative guide to dealing with disasters from one of today’s foremost thinkers in crisis management
Filled with personal anecdotes and real-life examples from natural disasters like the California wildfires to man-made ones like the Boeing 737 MAX crisis, The Devil Never Sleeps is a guide for governments, businesses, and individuals alike on how to alter our thinking so that we can develop effective strategies in the face of perpetual catastrophe.
In “a lively debut…[with] plenty of enthusiastic ‘can-do’ advice” (Publishers Weekly), a Homeland Security advisor and a Pulitzer Prize–nominated columnist—and mother of three—delivers a timely message about American security: it begins at home.
Security Mom is modern tale about the highs and lows of having-it-all parenthood and a candid, sometimes shocking, behind-the-scenes look inside the high-stakes world of national security. In her signature refreshing style, Juliette reveals how she came to learn that homeland security is not simply about tragedy and terror; it is about us as parents and neighbors, and what we can do every day to keep each other strong and safe.